Thursday, March 5, 2009

Several Chances to see Camera Obscura






Showlist Austin was a lot more anemic the last time I listed some of my favorite free day parties. Typically, parties are lining up sponsors and artists during these few weeks before SXSW kicks off, so I should have expected so many additions. But I truly didn't expect Friday, March 20th, to be so incredibly stacked with some of my favorite artists.

Probably my most anticipated performance and album release of the year belongs to Scotland's indie pop band Camera Obscura, who haven't made it to Austin since as far as I can remember. Now with several opportunities to see them this year, I have a few difficult decisions to make. My Maudlin Career is slated to be released on April 21st, but leaked on the internet today and I just couldn't contain myself. I had to hear it, and I am entirely grateful that I did. It feels like an extension of their beautiful 2006 release Let's Get Out Of This Country, and while independent music is in a current state of indulgent experimentation, I'm more than pleased that they stuck to what they do best.

Camera Obscura makes indie pop music perfect for long car rides and pleasant walks. Cokemachineglow vividly and accurately describes Camera Obscura's blissful and unabashed pop as "...more than a diary set to music; it’s an interactive map. It is a scrapbook of love gone wrong, including ripped photos, amateur pencil sketches, tear-stained poems, and ticket stubs." Camera Obscura are ready to flourish and have, undoubtedly, released one of my favorite records of the year.

You can catch them at the following shows:

Official Night Showcases
Wednesday March 18th
Central Presbyterian Church

8pm Anni Rossi
9pm M. Ward
10pm Department of Eagles
11pm St. Vincent
12am Camera Obscura

Friday March 20th
La Zona Rosa

7:30pm We Were Promised Jetpacks
8:30pm Dananananaykroyd
9:30pm Camera Obscura
10:30pm The Proclaimers
11:30pm Glasvegas
12:45pm Primal Scream

Free Day Shows
Saturday, March 21
The Mohawk Patio

12:00 PM Harlem
1:00 PM Jason Lytle
2:00 PM Vivian Girls
3:00 PM Viva Voce
4:00 PM Peelander-Z
5:00 PM Camera Obscura

No comments:

Post a Comment