Sunday, February 22, 2009

Keep It Hid: An Introduction

Currently listening to:

I don't think there's a week I look forward to more in any given year than SXSW.

As an avid music lover and aspiring photographer, SXSW is bliss. Not a festival by ordinary standards, 1800 bands flood the city's great bar and club scene, playing in courtyards and patio decks to streetcorners and massive stages close to 24 hours a day. Some of the biggest draws at SXSW this year are "Whip It" creators Devo, consistent European festival headliner Razorlight, hip hop royalty and one half of OutKast's Big Boi, and Santa Barbara pop hitmaker Katy Perry.

These not the types of bands I would like to feature. Some of my favorite artists at SXSW this year are Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson, Thao with the Get Down Stay Down, and Camera Obscura. One half of the Black Keys, Dan Auerbach, just released a pretty great solo album, Keep It Hid, that isn't a far reach from the garage rock of the Keys. Vivian Girls just put out a really good album which leaves room for optimism in the current punk scene. There are so many artists hidden in that massive list of names, and I will share some of my favorite discoveries and recommend some free day parties and official night showcases.

I don't have a whole lot of must sees at the moment, considering the list of announced day shows is anemic and a fraction of completion, but here's a starter:

Wednesday, March 18th
Terrorbird/Force Field Media Day Party at Red 7
Vivian Girls, Beach House, The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, Wavves, Loney Dear, and much more. - Free, All Ages
Red 7's indoor stage has one of my favorite backdrops for photos in Austin, and the possibility of Vivian Girls tearing it up right after Beach House soothes the crowd with their ominous dream pop is very exciting. The Pains... are a band to watch this upcoming year, and Wavves has put out one of my favorite records of the year. I just saw Loney Dear last week opening for Andrew Bird, and they are a very charismatic live band.

Thursday, March 19th
NPR Day Party at the Parish
Blitzen Trapper, Thao with the Get Down Stay Down, K'NAAN, Dirty Projectors, and more. - Free, All Ages
Photo: Thao Nguyen at Emo's, August 6th 2008, by Shawn Hinojosa

Once again, a venue could make a show for me, and the Parish is my favorite venue in Austin. The ability to see My Morning Jacket and Duffy last year (both free) are what I most remember about SXSW 2008. The NPR Day Party is usually full of up-and-comers (last year, Vampire Weekend, Fleet Foxes, and Bon Iver played), so it makes me incredibly happy to see indie folk songstress Thao Nguyen on the lineup. Portland's campfire folk Blitzen Trapper headline, and Somalian rapper K'NAAN rounds out the diverse lineup with cuts from his latest release Troubadore.

Waiting on the Pitchfork Day Party and Mess With Texas information, which is bound to be great again.

Wednesday, March 18th
4AD Official Showcase at Central Presbyterian Church
Anni Rossi, M. Ward, Department of Eagles, St. Vincent, Camera Obscura
I've always wanted to see one of the church shows at SXSW, because the atmosphere seems unbelievably ethereal. M. Ward's new album Hold Time is getting great reviews (and I love it), and I can't wait to see brand new tracks from two new albums I'm looking forward to greatly, St. Vincent's Actor and Camera Obscura's My Maudlin Career.

Thanks for reading, listen to the playlist I've provided, and I would really like to hear what you have to say! Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for me? What do you think of my current selections?






1 comment: